[THIN] Excel performance Issue

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:57:31 +1100

Hi

I have an interesting issue where some
Excel power users are complaining about performance on my Windows 2003
XenApp 4.5 farm (x86).  We are running Office 2003 and performance
is very bad when large XLS files are opened.  Its not uncommon for
a user to have 2 x Excel + MS Access programs open often using around 800Mb
RAM.  I did some tests with only 1 user on the server and Excel was
very slow.  User was using 700MB RAM but no CPU.  The XLS file
is on the same network as the XenApp server so there are no issues here
(Gig networking).

Server hardware

2 x Quad Core CPU

10Gb RAM

Are there any tweaks I can perform to
improve performance for Excel?  I have a dedicated XenApp Server specifically
for my 5 finance users so there is plenty of resources

Thanks
Ang