[THIN] Re: Excel performance Issue

  • From: Andrew Wood <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:47:01 -0000

I’m working on a similar problem – finance working with 45MB spread sheets
and complaining that the process is slow.

However – while tests on the Citrix farm confirmed that calculations times
are long,  so did  tests on a fat desktop, tests on a laptop, tests on a
non-citrix server. We could get the calc time down to less than 3 minutes
if we gave them a dedicated dual quad-core processor box, each. It’s still
a couple of days to month end, maybe that will happen. Fundamentally, it’s
a poorly coded spreadsheet.

While it’s true to say you could use the likes of AppSense to improve
performance (e.g. to help keep the AppData local to the server), and
optimise CPU & memory performance (at a far more granular level than you
can with the “in-house” citrix stuff) it’s not going to turn a sow’s ear
into a silk purse. Have you done some tests outside of a Citrix
environment? Just local? What would you like to get the load time down to,
what is it now?

Have you considered moving from Office 2003? 2007 & 2010 have a range of
performance improvements over 2003.

From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Excel performance Issue
Date: Wed, Nov 23, 2011 07:00

Are you using any profile management tools such as AppSense?

Joe