[THIN] Re: Excel performance Issue

  • From: Adam Thompson <adwulf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:29:41 +0000

On 23 November 2011 04:57, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Server hardware
> 2 x Quad Core CPU
> 10Gb RAM
>
> Are there any tweaks I can perform to improve performance for Excel?  I have
> a dedicated XenApp Server specifically for my 5 finance users so there is
> plenty of resources

Dragging this slightly off the topic of Citrix: I'm wondering if the
performance issue is on the file server?

I'm not sure if Excel ordinarily uses memory-mapped files, but I think
that the Windows file cache will redirect I/O requests to a virtual
memory-mapped structure.  If your file server is also x86, it might be
the source of your slow performance.

To start with, I'd set up perf counter logging on both the Citrix
servers and the file server, looking for mem usage, paging, network
and disk I/O bottlenecks.

--
AdamT
Karaoke: Japanese for 'avoid this pub'.  As in "Karaoke, Saturday 7pm-11pm".