[THIN] Re: Excel performance Issue

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:28:56 +1100

Hi

Thanks for the responses so far.

The CPU doesn’t get used at all so no
bottleneck with CPU..  Its all memory only..  Unfortunately I
cannot upgrade the Office software as we have another Excel addon that will only
work on Excel 2003.  I can look at rebuilding the server as x64....
 I don't use roaming profiles at all.  All local profiles are
deleted nightly.  We also do not have kb/2501584
installed..
I was hoping the server could be tweaked without having to rebuild the box with
x64..

Im also asking user to perform same task locally to compare speeds with citrix
but its supposedly alot faster locally (from previous tests)..  Very strange
considering he is the only user on the server at the time of the tests..  The
server is faster and has more memory than his local PC..

Thanks
Ang

CC: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: magnus@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Excel performance Issue
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:07:17 -0500
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hate to say this but upgrade to office 2007 as excel is multithreaded and
will actually use all of the processors. We ran into the same issue. Put them
on the same type server ( same model, CPU, memory x86) with 2007 and if cut
there calc time by 90%

Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 22, 2011, at 23:57, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I have an interesting issue where some
Excel power users are complaining about performance on my Windows 2003
XenApp 4.5 farm (x86).  We are running Office 2003 and performance
is very bad when large XLS files are opened.  Its not uncommon for
a user to have 2 x Excel + MS Access programs open often using around 800Mb
RAM.  I did some tests with only 1 user on the server and Excel was
very slow.  User was using 700MB RAM but no CPU.  The XLS file
is on the same network as the XenApp server so there are no issues here
(Gig networking).

Server hardware

2 x Quad Core CPU

10Gb RAM

Are there any tweaks I can perform to
improve performance for Excel?  I have a dedicated XenApp Server specifically
for my 5 finance users so there is plenty of resources

Thanks
Ang