[texbirds] Steve Gross

  • From: kahartman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 06:54:56 +0000

****** MESSAGE POSTED TO THE OLD LIST *******

I'm still having a hard time believing that I am mourning Steve's passing. I
always assumed that he'd be around for many more years (and birding adventures)
to come. Such a shock, and such a loss.

I think others have eloquently stated how much Steve meant to the birding
community and how much we will all miss him. But he will be missed by the wider
community as well. Steve was a passionate educator for Klein ISD, and
frequently dealt with troubled and non-traditional high school students. I was
continually amazed by the dedication and energy he had for helping these kids,
and was glad there was someone like him to take on such a difficult, often
underappreciated, role.

I echo Howard Smith's feeling that Steve probably would not want us to mourn
him too long. I'd like to think he'd want us to get out there and spread the
joy of birding, help out someone in the community, make a difference. And have
a little fun along the way. Perhaps this is one of the ways we can honor his
memory.

Farewell, Steve. I'll miss you.

Ken Hartman

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
Houston, TX