[techtalk] Re: Core 2 motherboard recommendation?

  • From: "Andrew Davidson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:35:53 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Hurst" <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>

To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 5:44 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Re: Core 2 motherboard recommendation?

I run FreeBSD a lot, and Linux occasionally; eventually this machine
will probably be doing so too, though it's likely to be XP for the
foreseable future.  Also I like to support companies who aren't
cockbites about supporting basic things like that.

OK, that explains it then. You probably are better sticking to a P35 board then. But b aware with Intel chipsets you're stuck with Crossfire if you intend dual graphicing. Hey, I just invented a word! Graphicing. :)

The bigger concern might be that unbuffered ECC doesn't yet appear to
come in 2G sticks at DDR2-800, so it'll end up as 4*1G, but presumably
there aren't reliability concerns with that these days.

I wouldn't fuss about buying DDR2-800. I run DDR2-667 on a 1333FSB chip - it's 2x2GB Crucial sticks. I've not tried DDR2-800, but to be honest with the timings set up properly the machine is benchmarking around normal. I really can't see the need for 800 memory, unless it's for future-proofing.

If work is buying it, would you not be better with one of the low-end Dell Precisions? They really are good, we run them at work and have had zero issues, and they do run quite well compared to similarly processored Optiplexes we have on our desks. We use them for Adobe Premier Pro/Audition etc.

Andrew