[techtalk] Re: Core 2 motherboard recommendation?

  • From: Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:44:57 +0000

* Andrew Davidson (andrew@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Do you write drivers for Ethernet or SATA?  I don't see how either are an
> issue - they both work with supplied drivers.  Unless you're running Linux,
> then I'll take your point that Intel would probably be better supported.

I run FreeBSD a lot, and Linux occasionally; eventually this machine
will probably be doing so too, though it's likely to be XP for the
foreseable future.  Also I like to support companies who aren't
cockbites about supporting basic things like that.

> All the modern chipsets have 4 or 6 SATA native to the southbridge.

Thanks.

>> Also, no ECC memory support on those according to Scan.  Do nVidia not
>> support that on these chipsets?
>
> Why do you even need ECC?  Memory is more expensive,

Oh no, the incredibly cheap component that's otherwise 1/10th the price
of the CPU might only be 1/7th the price! ;)

The bigger concern might be that unbuffered ECC doesn't yet appear to
come in 2G sticks at DDR2-800, so it'll end up as 4*1G, but presumably
there aren't reliability concerns with that these days.

> and are you really doing anything so critical that normal RAM (you
> know, the stuff just about everyone outside of big-end workstations
> and servers use) isn't good enough?

Not if I ever have a memory error, no, it'll mean silent data corruption
and, if I'm lucky, crashes, followed by potentially hours of memtesting.
ECC will give me an entry in Event Log and plenty of time to RMA or buy
replacements.

It's not *critical*, in that all my real work is done on a proper server
in my cupboard, but that doesn't mean it won't put a cramp on my style
having to use a spare machine as a terminal because my main desktop's
down :)

Since it'll be used for work I could expense it anyway.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/