[techtalk] Re: Core 2 motherboard recommendation?

  • From: "Andrew Davidson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:54:25 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Hurst" <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:01 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Core 2 motherboard recommendation?

Price isn't a major concern.  SLI would be nice, but just having 2 16x
slots to choose from (and potentially drive >2 monitors using) is
probably the more important (but not critical) side of that.

Having had an Asus board recently, I think I'll probably recommend one of those. I was never an Asus fan, but their new board are very, very good.

I'd have to recommend nVidia chipset - I'm on my 4th in a row, and really I don't think I could recommend anything else. They just work.

More than 4 SATA ports is good, gives me space for 4 drives plus
optical.  Bonus if they're not driven by SiI crap.  Space for PCIe cards
is a reasonable alternative.

Pretty standard on modern chipsets, and all the PCI SATA bullcrap is long gone, thankfully.

So, lazyweb, what say you?

If you want cheap, no SLI then your board is the EVGA 650i Ultra. I've got one here with my E6850 and 8800GTS, 4GB RAM, running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Fast, stable, and the board was sub-£50.

Although, I think for your needs, you'll not go far wrong with the Asus P5N-D. Only 4 SATAs, though. If you're made of money then the P5N-T is the job - 3 16x slots, 6 SATAs and more USB than you can wiggle an iPod at.

Andrew