[techtalk] Re: Core 2 motherboard recommendation?

  • From: Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:25:39 +0000

* Andrew Davidson (andrew@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Having had an Asus board recently, I think I'll probably recommend one
> of those. I was never an Asus fan, but their new board are very, very
> good.

Not heard anything bad about them recently.  Then again, Gigabyte didn't
look too bad to start with either, *mutter* ;)

> I'd have to recommend nVidia chipset - I'm on my 4th in a row, and
> really I don't think I could recommend anything else.  They just work.

I dunno, their ethernet is closed crap, their SATA's poorly documented,
and the power consumption figures don't seem to be impressing anyone
these days.  I have been all-nVidia for the past few years, so I'm sure
they're not terrible, but Intel seem to have a better reputation for,
er, Intel.

>> More than 4 SATA ports is good, gives me space for 4 drives plus
>> optical.  Bonus if they're not driven by SiI crap.  Space for PCIe
>> cards is a reasonable alternative.
>
> Pretty standard on modern chipsets, and all the PCI SATA bullcrap is
> long gone, thankfully.

It's not PCI that worries me, it's Silicon Image (and similar dodgy
manufacturers) and their broken chipsets.  I do occasionally like to be
able to DMA more than 64k at a time without half the bits flipping.

>> So, lazyweb, what say you?
>
> If you want cheap, no SLI then your board is the EVGA 650i Ultra.

Nope.  I'm running a £150 very basic AMD K8 board atm, and it's rock
solid; that's more what I'm looking at.  Sun used the same class of
board (Tyan Tomcat) in their entry level servers and workstations.

OK, so I do most of my work on a real server board; a £250 dual Opteron
K8WE, but I still kinda depend on my desktop Just Working, since that's
how I normally talk to it :)

> Although, I think for your needs, you'll not go far wrong with the
> Asus P5N-D.  Only 4 SATAs, though.  If you're made of money then the
> P5N-T is the job - 3 16x slots, 6 SATAs and more USB than you can
> wiggle an iPod at.

Ugh.  Angled connectors, I completely fail to see how they're a good
idea, except maybe in a roomy EATX case.  Which isn't completely out of
the question..

Also, no ECC memory support on those according to Scan.  Do nVidia not
support that on these chipsets?

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/