[TechAssist] Re: for the record + repairing without a schematic?

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:05:43 -0400

You look for tips on lists like these and hope that it has a common problem
for the model. If people that post tips would include enough information,
like model year and part numbers etched on a main pcb it would be easier to
cross reference the models. I have seen many posts from competent, well
equipped servicers to the effect that they fix half of their repairs from
tips. The lists should have an archive of tips that you can search and you
can always store posts with a tip in your computer or print them out to
build your own data base.
If its an older unit you have to go through it and repair the cracked solder
and replace the dried out electrolytics anyway and sometimes thats all thats
wrong with it. Avoid lightning damaged units because you never can tell how
extensive it is. What with everything containing large scale integrated
circuits now, it only takes one of those defective to make diagnostics
impossible without some very special equipment.
Some organizations sell model cross references and tips data bases that you
can buy. Some of the manufacturers keep repair data bases on their product
and make this information available to you. For example, you can go to the
Panasonic Web site and ask for technical advise on their products.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609