[TechAssist] Re: for the record + repairing without a schematic?

  • From: Kevin <kevinstv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:27:53 -0700

With the invention of the ESR meter, a technician does not need the
schematic in most cases.  If he knows the basic theory of how TV's and
monitors work schematics are not needed.  The internet can be used to
find out voltages for IC's that aren't in the ECG or NTE books.  Bad
connections and caps with high ESR are the most common ailments in TV's
today.  If I have to buy a schematic, I get frustrated.  As that paper
'CEA Industry Study Results' said, manufacturers should have all their
schematics available on their website in PDF format.  Talking to other
techs, like we do here, is always very helpful as everyone has a
slightly different approach.

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada