[TechAssist] Network Neighborhood

  • From: <wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:00:10 -0600

Howdy...

I once again see the amateurs giving out free information, and unfornately,
even though it is given with good intent, it is wrong, and causes more
problems in the process.  Here are some details to help clear things up.

First, and foremost, the person who referred to turning off a feature in
network neighborhood was a bit off.  The feature needs to be installed
first, and it is called "File and Print Sharing".

Second, this service is a NetBEUI feature, and what many people do not
realize is that NetBIOS is NOT routeable.  It can be routed using NetBEUI
over TCP/IP, but most ISPs block this anyways.

Third, once installed, you have to grant permissions to folders, drives, and
printers.  By default, these are NOT shared, and thereby cannot be accessed.

Fourth, PLEASE leave the technical details to viruses, and network
management to the professionals who specialize in those areas.

And last, just because you know a little about computers does not mean that
you are a professional, and can give good, sound, and professional advise.
How would you feel as an electronics professional if a first semester
electronics student in a 4-year college program was saying they are
qualified to repair electronics, regardless of what it is?

I have spent thousands of dollars in education, training, books, and the
like JUST to stay on top of the field, and I am a computer professional.
Just because you are good operating, and possibly repairing a computer does
not mean that you are a computer professional.  It just means you know how
to operate, and identify common problems, and nothing more.

I remember one person in this forum recently advised somebody to use a
Windows 98 floppy startup disk to rebuild the MBR on a Windows 2000 drive.
Fortunately, he did not do this, otherwise he would have corrupted the hard
drive bootstrap sequence, at a minimum, and possibly all the data on the
drive.

Wolfe Strickland,
MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CompTIA A+