[TechAssist] Re: Mitsubishi VS-60703

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:42:32 -0400

No.  Do not replace the tube.  The client should contact Mitsubishi customer
relations and request that they assist.  The CRT and the board are NLA.
Mitsubishi's service procedure is to replace both and since they are NLA
they will likely accommodate the client.

We end up repairing most of these, however, without replacement.  The CRT
will likely not continue to leak, but if it does it will be a minor leak and
we gutter the sets to avoid future board damage.  We have a very simple
guttering solution that I will take some pictures of and post on the web
site.  If the CRT continues to leak it is a simple, though tedious, matter
to take it apart and seal it with RTV and refill.  The hard part about
fixing these is repairing the signal board (the one on the left looking from
the rear).  These can nearly always be repaired, though it takes a great
deal of patience and time.  The coolant corrodes the feed-throughs on the
double sided board and this is usually the only problem other than any
visibly corroded parts that need to be replaced.  You have to check every
feed-through point in the leakage area and solder a thin wire through the
board on both sides on any that are bad or visibly corroded.  Sometimes the
coolant gets under the micro and you have to remove it to repair the
corroded points under it.  Those are usually the worst case jobs.  I have
never seen one that the micro was bad, though it thought for a while that
this was happening.  Turned out that each one that I thought was bad just
had feed through points that I missed.  I suggest testing the set for a week
or so before re-installing it.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World
1261 NW 76 Blvd