[TechAssist] Re: HOT subs in general question

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jorge Camboni <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:04:36 -0700

The BUH717 is rated at 1700V. The 1500V HOTs may not last long.
Hard to believe that Sony recommends a HOT replacement which
does not have a damper diode (when the original one does).

I recommend the D1884 through D1887 (no damper diodes) and
D1878 through D1881 (have damper diodes) for most HOT subbing.
You also need to have a Japanese transistor manual so you can
look things up. If you buy these as original Sanyo, Toshiba,
etc. you will find that they work for almost any HOT in
direct view and PTVs.

Saves lots of money and you rarely have to special order a
HOT. Using a sub which has the same amp rating as the original
is the key. More voltage and faster switching speeds is OK.
Lower wattage rating is OK also. HOTs are off most of the time
(~12us on, ~55us off).

--
Best regards,

 Bil Green