[TechAssist] Re: HOT subs in general question

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:17:15 -0400

The wattage rating is for the power dissipated during the turn-on and
turn-off switching. That power dissipation is much higher than the rating
because it is averaged over the whole cycle for heating purposes. There is
hardly any power dissipated during the on or off periods. If the transistor
is getting hot either there is not enough drive to get it on quickly or
there is not enough drive to shut it off quickly. There is also a problem if
there is too much drive. Too much turn on current can heat or damage the b/e
junction and too much turn off voltage can break down the b/e junction. If
it runs cool you know you are OK for operation. Wheather it survives
startup, shutdown, or the failure of something else is another matter.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609