[TechAssist] Re: Guy outside the list is asking for a schematic

  • From: "markbrock" <markbrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:42:33 -0600

 how about a secret code?  I saw a message on MSN that my 16 year old was
writing in reply,   a parent couldn't figure that out, its like short hand,
he said its teen coded and he could explain anything I had problems with..
( I trust this one so I just walked away)  point is::  Maybe more of us
should start using abbreviated descriptions,  I've been chewed on more than
once and probably lost some help because of my posts being hard to
understand ,  but the reason is plain,  only a tech would or should
understand,  like,  reg, fbt, hot, crt, cap, res,   most of the tips given
are very explicit,  " change R1203, 100ohm 1/4 watt, Philips part#12345  and
C424 100mfd @ 250 volts Philips part# 67890"   if it said,
ckr1203,100/.25,c424,100/250  the guy that mows your yard may have a little
trouble finding it and changing it, or describing it to parts house ?   just
a thought ,  used to call caps- letic's, or ceramic's or mylars,  resistors
on the board were cr's,  for carbon or wr for wire wound,    but you won't
find it in any new book or radio shack, mcm can  cross mfg. parts and sell
to public for same price as us. Its not that big of deal but most anyone can
fix anything with a little research on the web.  I do the same and so do
most of you,  I just saved $600 on an antilock brake problem on my service
truck,  got all the part numbers and how to fix it off the web,  took less
than an hour, so I guess what goes around comes around.

BTW.  there's a little money to be made repairing those brake modules for
GM's, will cost you about 12.00 and the dealers just replace the module with
the original OEM part, draws 20 amps, uses  25 amp scrs,  won't last very
long, ( I think it was programmed to fail ) will fail again if ABS is
activated more than normal driving,  like pulling trailer, hills etc.
replacing with a 100 amp scr will cure for good, and unit is on a 30 amp
fuse so no danger of over current draw.  I fixed a couple since then for
125.00 each, with 6 month warranty, installation had to be done by certified
auto mechanic.   can't beat em,  join em.
brock
Brock Electronics
R.R.4 box 237
5208  cr.3385