[TechAssist] Re: GENERAL QUESTION -- DUST SPECKS BETWEEN LENSES

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:39:33 -0500

Plastic will suck dust right out of the air or your clothes while you are
trying to clean it. Just the act of cleaning may release more charge in the
plastic to attract more dust. This is/was textileland (they are leaving
fast) and static electricity in synthetic fibers is a major problem. Usually
they have vapor generators running to keep the humidity high and electric
discharge devices to keep the air ionized around critical machinery. Some
ionizers use radioactive isotopes.
These things probably are not practical for home consumer use  so you might
try one of the many anti-static spray cleaners on the market. There is an
old trick if you want to try it on the cheap! Back in the days when all
meters had pointers, on a dry day it was hard to get a good reading. Any
motion would cause the meter reading to jump all over the place. We used to
put a drop of liquid detergent in about a gallon of water and wipe the meter
face with the solution and the problem would be gone or greatly diminished.
After many people did many experiments, the word got around that Joy
detergent seemed to work the best. Basically the detergent captures water
from the air and maintains enough electrical conductivity to bleed off the
static charges. You can also obtain lint-free cloth to do the wiping and
drying with.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave