[TechAssist] Re: DVD's & Credit Card scam

  • From: "Don's TV" <donstv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:44:52 -0500

    Ok, since this thread has been ongoing, I'll  put in my 2 cents.  I have
gotten 6 of these calls.  The first was about 6 months ago, before anything
had been said about this scam.  I realized it was a scam right away because
of a friends experience.  He does refurb. on fax and laser toner cartridges.
He was able to get ahold of refurbished laser printers.  He got caught in a
scam originating fom West Africa.  They ordered 30 used laser printers on
his website.  He shipped the first 10 as that is all he had in stock.  As it
turns out the credit card was rejected, but becasue it originated overseas,
it took 30-45 days to fully process.  Of  course he then had 10 less laser
printers and no money.  His story came to mind as soon as I got that first
call.
    Here's why I think they want DVD Players.  It is such a small ticket
item, they believe the seller won't think much of it.  However,  if they can
scam 10 people for 10 DVD's each or 100 people for 10 each, then turn around
and resell them I guess they are happy.
    From my experience, being a small shop or retailer, they don't realize
that it is very odd for me to get any phone orders at all.  So that throws
up the red flags right away.  I have noticed they think they are getting
smarter though.  The last call I got (Sat. 2/7/0) they refused to give me
any address information "until I processed the order."  As if I would
process it without an address.  They told me not to worry about address
because they would just have FEDEX pickup and charge their account.
    As far as contacting the Attorney General, I have sought advice on this
and have been told the best things to do is refuse the call or try to break
it off as soon as you know it is a scam call.  Apparently there is not much
law inforcement can do with this problem.  I have been taking the calls but
cutting them short.  The calls I've gotten have been through IP Relay,
Sprint Relay or AT&T Relay.  I really wish there was a solution, because as
I said in a previous post, it a waste of my time.

Michael Goodwin
Don's  TV
18 W. Main St.
Westminster, MD   21157