[TechAssist] Re: Computer Question

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 01:52:47 -0600

Gary you just need to hit 'reply' since it has the same
function as 'reply all' on this list.  That *might* make a
difference maybe.  :-)

Hugh, you cannot DUPLICATE COPY a HD by the drag 'n drop
method.  All that will do is just copy the files, folders,
etc.  It will not copy the appropriate entries in the
registry that an real INSTALLATION of each program does.
This would be fine for downloads or any doc's you created,
but not for installed programs, windows updates, etc.  What
Gary suggested will work, and I recently used Adaptec's Take
Two (similar to Ghost) for copying a HD and it worked fine.
Of course by the time you may get one of those programs, 35
min. would be long gone several times.  :-)  Take Two is part
of Easy CD Creator (maybe only version 5) and it MIGHT come
bundled with some CDRW drives that come with Adaptec (Roxio)
burning software.  I'm not sure if it's available only on
retail versions of ECDC 5 Platinum (what I have).

LAN's are much slower that direct HD to HD (as in slaving
one), so you could temp. slave the HD you want the data on to
the other PC's HD, THEN drag 'n drop.  This would be a bit
faster, but again...this will only work if you just want to
copy basic files.  It would not work for a "mirroring" or
exact duplicate of one HD to another.  Also if it's a
bootable HD, they are not always visible in windows as
another drive letter if it is slaved.

FYI, If on a regular basis you do any file copying or sharing
from one PC to another, I believe the "file and printer
sharing" has to be on for this and that leaves you wide open
to hackers getting info off the PC's as well as putting
Trojan's on them.  If what you want to do is NOT mirroring
one HD to another, and you enable file and printer sharing to
copy any files, you need to put that back to disabled when
you are through.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 775-254-3030
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include our previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)