[TCUG] Re: Puffin Crossings - Nearside Indicators

  • From: Andrew Cockburn <Andrew.Cockburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:12:35 +0100

Traffic advisory leaflet 01/02 does state "...the near side signal should be
mounted immediately above the push button box. This allows children and
people in wheelchairs to view the signal easily."  Although in our
experience this is not always possible as it does not leave enough room to
access the boxes for servicing.
We have had many complaints from pedestrians that they cannot see the
nearside signal, particularly at the busier crossings. We have had to
install additional signals higher up the poles at one site, but this is not
possible at every location as we will get back to the old problem at Puffins
of drivers 'confusing' the higher pedestrian signals with the vehicle
signals.
I can see this becoming more of a problem at our new nearside Toucan sites,
as we are still only allowed to use the nearside signal on the upstream
pole.  The extra width and the fact that pedestrians and cyclists
automatically split to the two push button boxes means generally the users
are further apart, making the single low signal even harder to see.  I would
be interested to hear if anyone has any further experience of this.

Andrew Cockburn
Darlington Borough Council

> ----------

***************************
DISCLAIMER

1. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Unauthorised use,
disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender at the above
address and then delete the e-mail from your system.
2. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
necessarily those of Darlington Borough Council.
3. This e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus. It
is however the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus
free. No responsibility is accepted by Darlington Borough Council for any
loss or damage arising from the receipt of this e-mail or its contents.