[TCUG] Re: Pedestrian Crossing Bleepers

  • From: Howard Saffer <Howard.Saffer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:10:11 +0100

For people that are interested in this issue (Bleepers, Tactiles, Bleep &
Sweep) - and missed the earlier discussions on this list - there was a lot
of discussion on the topic between Dec 2001 and March 2002. This is still
available for reference on the freelists TCUG archive on their website:
//www.freelists.org/archives/tcug/

I think I commented then (in these earlier discussions) how we in the UK
seem to be one of the few countries in the 'western world' not to use
audibles that adjust to ambient sound levels. This is a standard facility on
many current push button units, particularly in the US and Australia. Why
should we have to resort to Bleep and Sweep just to obtain this facility?

Perhaps we ought to encourage signal manufacturers in this country to look
at providing this in current push buttons (for Pelicans and Puffins)

Howard Saffer
Sheffield City Council