[tcb] Re: Can a collision move the engine?

  • From: ATX BUS <atx_bus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:49:22 -0700 (PDT)

So what's the scoop on the G2's new bus?

 Jeff

From:  Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:  Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 7:59 AM

 can i borrow the bakery bus to experiment :D...i don't have a splitty  so i
don't know what would happen if one ran into a tree...i want all  the
circumstances to be accurate so the bakery bus would be perfect to  use.

________________________________
 Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:54:49 -0700
From:  bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It ain't so.  Go experiment.

 From: coocoo@xxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  [tcb] Can a collision move the engine?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct  2008 17:48:42 -0500

I have done absolutely zero work  of maintenance on Murray's mechanicals since
the tree kissing.  When ever I did start him to move him a few yards while
doing  the body work, there was a banging noise that I thought was  the
tailpipe banging against the body metal. When Chuck and I  were replacing the
electronic points with real points, I  noticed that the crank pulley nut was
loose. It took a few  turns. I also had to push the cooling tin away from the
pulley. When I started the engine with Chuck looking at the  engine we found
that the pulley is way wobbly.

There was no problem before the  crash. I say that I was going, maybe, 15 MPH
when I hit the  tree, because I can't think that I was going much faster,
maybe I was.

The question is, would a front  collision cause the engine to move forward,
maybe 1/4-1/2  inch? How hard would I have to smack to cause the engine to go
forward far enough to bend the pulley?

Let's all make a wish that the  crank wasn't damaged. I'll know tomorrow,
maybe.
Version:  7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.6.9/1637 - Release Date: 8/27/2008 7:01
AM