[tcb] Re: Can a collision move the engine?

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:57:37 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I've seen the entire rear torsion assembly shift after a front end collision, now the other damage could be caused as a side effect.  Things
being what they are the frame rails are probably 1/4 to 1/3 less in strength than when the left the factory so any collision could cause an accordion effect.  I had a single cab that
one day I tried to jack it up on the frame support rail and it crumpled.  As they say, they don't get better with age.

From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Can a collision move the engine?
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 5:48 PM

I have done absolutely zero work of maintenance on Murray's mechanicals since the tree kissing. When ever I did start him to move him a few yards while doing the body work, there was a banging noise that I thought was the tailpipe banging against the body metal. When Chuck and I were replacing the electronic points with real points, I noticed that the crank pulley nut was loose. It took a few turns. I also had to push the cooling tin away from the pulley. When I started the engine with Chuck looking at the engine we found that the pulley is way wobbly.

There was no problem before the crash. I say that I was going, maybe, 15 MPH when I hit the tree, because I can't think that I was going much faster, maybe I was.

The question is, would a front collision cause the engine to move forward, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch? How hard would I have to smack to cause the engine to go forward far enough to bend the pulley?

Let's all make a wish that the crank wasn't damaged. I'll know tomorrow, maybe.