[tcb] Re: Can a collision move the engine?

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:22:04 -0500

what do you have against chevy's??? seems as though you aim for them :D just
kiddingDate: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:14:12 -0700From:
bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: Can a collision move the
engine?To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx you will just have to take my word for it
then.  Over the years (more than 50) of messing with VWs I have seen many
wrecked VWs, some of which I was in when wrecked.  I once hit the rear of a
stopped 1960 chevy with a 1961 VW going about 60 mph.  It made a cab-over out
of the bug and the engine was fine.  It did not move.  I once had a GMC service
truck hit the rear of my bug and he was going about 30mph.  The engine was not
moved.  It did bend the crank pulley but no other engine damage.  My daughter
once skidded out of control in a 64 KG to avoid an errant driver and struck a
curb going sideways with the right rear wheel.  Results:  Bent wheel, bent
brake drum, bent rear axle, three destroyed tranny mounts, torn off nose cone
of the front of the tranny.  No damage to the frame
 horms of the car.  Yes you can move the engine in a collision but the first
thing to go will be torn tranny mounts.--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Brian Denning
From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [tcb] Re: Can a
collision move the engine?To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wednesday, October 15,
2008, 7:59 AM

can i borrow the bakery bus to experiment :D...i don't have a splitty so i
don't know what would happen if one ran into a tree...i want all the
circumstances to be accurate so the bakery bus would be perfect to use.

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:54:49 -0700From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
[tcb] Re: Can a collision move the engine?To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It ain't so.  Go experiment.--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Brian Denning
From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [tcb] Re: Can a
collision move the engine?To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wednesday, October 15,
2008, 7:31 AM
i would think it could move the motor...15mph is fast when you hit a stationary
object

From: coocoo@xxxxxxxxx: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Can a collision move
the engine?Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:48:42 -0500
I have done absolutely zero work of maintenance on Murray's mechanicals since
the tree kissing. When ever I did start him to move him a few yards while doing
the body work, there was a banging noise that I thought was the tailpipe
banging against the body metal. When Chuck and I were replacing the electronic
points with real points, I noticed that the crank pulley nut was loose. It took
a few turns. I also had to push the cooling tin away from the pulley. When I
started the engine with Chuck looking at the engine we found that the pulley is
way wobbly.

There was no problem before the crash. I say that I was going, maybe, 15 MPH
when I hit the tree, because I can't think that I was going much faster, maybe
I was.

The question is, would a front collision cause the engine to move forward,
maybe 1/4-1/2 inch? How hard would I have to smack to cause the engine to go
forward far enough to bend the pulley?

Let's all make a wish that the crank wasn't damaged. I'll know tomorrow, maybe.

See Now

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life. See Now