[sopvid] Re: Jane Ocharo's Presentation on Disability Mainstreaming

  • From: Reginald Oduor <rmjoduor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:50:12 +0300

Hi Jane

I have read John Akwalu's email, and indeed it is important that all
institutions be made more aware of the need to facilitate the full
inclusion of persons with disabilities.

However, I am not sure that singling out specific institutions for
censure in a presentation is the way to go, unless there is evidence
that they are not making satisfactory progress on the issue of
inclusion. For example, a number of First Year students at the
University of Nairobi will tell you that despite the challenges they
face, the office of the Dean of Students has taken some concrete
actions towards making their time in the institution much more
manageable.

Of course I could be asked to declare my interest in the matter of the
University of Nairobi!

--
Reginald M.J. Oduor, Ph.D.
Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Nairobi