[sopvid] Re: Jane Ocharo's Presentation on Disability Mainstreaming

  • From: "Celestina Wawuda" <celeswawuda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 19:50:31 +0300

Hi John,

you will have to tolerate such comments for many more times in life. As a
person with disability, you have to put extra effort, much more than your
counterparts. There can also be a time when you excel and people will say that
you are making up for your disability or you have been favoured; but you must
forge on!

I have also realised that the majority of those in charge of our institutions
lack awareness. To them people with disabilities are those with physical
disabilities. I once inquired out of curiosity in a hospital here, how they
serve persons with disabilities  and I was told that there ware ramps in the
facility. I had to take time to educate them about the blind and the deaf but
I'm almost sure that nothing has been done. The will is lacking in most of us.
However, as Paul says, sometimes we have to pay a price.

Take heart, be creative, polish your shoe even when you know it's clean and you
will succeed.

celestina.