[sib-access] Re: Follow-up to chord symbol request

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:50:49 -0000

Kevin,

There are no hard and fast rules about this but I personally prefer to have
chord symbols written above the right hand staff and not between the staves.
That said, if the copyist wanted them to go between the staves then putting
them in the left hand staff makes sense since chord symbols appear above the
staff to which they are added.

You said that bar 2 contains a bar rest.  If this is the case then I would
expect the chord symbol to have a rhythm position which puts it after the
bar rest.  If this is so then pressing Tab when the bar rest is selected
should move you to the symbol.

The way to move through each chord symbol in turn would be to use the find
dialog to get the first symbol and then pressing Control+G to move to each
chord symbol after that in turn.

If you want to start with a particular chord symbol then you should select a
passage which starts just before the first chord symbol and goes to the end
of the score, but on the one staff only.  When you open the find dialog,
make sure to choose "selection" and not "whole score".

I should point out that the find dialog is very confusing from a keyboard
point of view.  The problem is that you can tab onto a control which isn't
even visible on the screen.  I'm trying to fix this in beta 2 but I have to
literally impose a tabbing order across the whole dialog to avoid controls
which cannot be used.  This will take a while since the dialog could contain
four pages worth of controls.

Hope this helps,

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk