[sib-access] Re: How do I find chords in a score?

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:37:00 -0000

Kevin,

You move to chord symbols in the same way as you would move to a lyric or
any other  staff item which is not a chord, note or rest.  Namely, press
Shift+Tab to move to the chord symbol if it is before the chord or at the
same rhythmic position, or press Tab to move to a chord symbol which is
positioned after the start of the selected chord but before the next chord.

The point about moving to symbols which are positioned after the start of
the note is important.  For example, you could have a whole note chord
starting at quarter 1 and a chord symbol which is position at quarter 1.5.
This is a common occurrence, because sighted copyist will often drag a chord
symbol slightly to the right so that it looks clearer in print.  This means
that the chord symbol which applies to the chord at quarter 1 is actually
positioned after the chord.

It's important to remember that we are talking about rhythmic position and
not just physical position.  A symbol at quarter 1.5 will be slightly to the
right of a symbol at quarter 1.  This can be a bit of a drag in some scores
where symbols can show up at quarter 1.16, or other such unexpected
positions.

If any items are positioned in this way, that is, after the item which you
would expect them to be above, then they are described after the selected
note, so if you think that there might be a chord symbol near to the
selected chord or rest, you should wait for the message JAWS speaks to
finish just in case.

NB: I've made a change in beta 2 so that you can have items which are near
to the selected chord or rest spoken before or after the chord as you wish.

Hope this makes sense,

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk