[SI-LIST] Re: surface roughness

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhangjun5960@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 10:16:30 -0700

Jun,

Note, that the pyramidal or cannon ball stack arrangement of the spheres in
the Huray's model is purely illustrative. Thus, the best way to figure out
the roughness model parameters is to fit it to the measured generalized
modal insertion loss or to the measured attenuation (real part of the
complex propagation constant). See how to do it at app notes #2014_03 and
2012_01 at http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes.php. Theoretically, it can be
done with any field solver. Just make sure that the solver applies
roughness model to the computation of the losses without violation of
causality (affects the phase constant too). Also, the insertion loss coming
from dielectric has to be properly separated in such approach.
Chudy Nwachukwu from Isola, Scott McMorrow from Teraspeed and I will talk
about all that at the "Material" world tutorial at the oncoming DesignCon
2016 http://www.designcon.com/santaclara/scheduler/list.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368; Virtual +1-408-627-7706
Skype: shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor - Accurate, Productive and Cost-Effective Electromagnetic Signal
Integrity Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner, 2015 Best In Design&Test Finalist