[SI-LIST] Re: surface roughness

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:06:09 -0500

Jeff

I will grant you that a physics based model will give you insight into
the microscopic properties of the material.  However, your company is
one of the few in the Known Universe that has the ability to impact
change at this level with the material and fabrication suppliers.
99.999% of us do not have that clout, or the ability to perform the
necessary measurements to characterize the copper.  Thus, we need to
either obtain the information from the suppliers, which as we all know
is almost guaranteed to be wrong, or we need to perform a fit to
measured macroscopic data.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On 11/29/2011 6:44 PM, Scott McMorrow wrote:
> [...]
> must be correct.  This is why I Have been asking about phase.  Not for
> the copper modeling, but to be sure that the baseline dielectric
> models correctly account for phase prior to comparison of the surface
> roughness models.
>>
>> * I agree that, if you aren't interested in the physics, a
>> Hammerstadt-type model should be adequate for most modeling.  But, as
>> has been demonstrated, there are cases where it can't be made to
>> work.  Perhaps the disconnect comes because you are working w/
>> smoother copper than other folks have to contend with.  For instance,
>> most domestic (U.S.A.) vendors use RTF as a matter of course, which
>> is significantly smoother than the standard copper commonly used in
>> Asia.  Might this be a significant difference in our experiences?
> I've had zero issue in using a Hammerstadt-type model, for any work
> I've done, domestic or asian.  However, for the cases where the copper
> is that rough, then pretty much all bets are off for any sort of high
> performance work, anyway.  Just the statistical variation of the
> copper is going to be huge.
>>
>> I'm going to refrain from commenting on the dielectric issues, since
>> I don't believe those are germane to this particular discussion.
>> They may be worthy of a thread in themselves.
> They absolutely are.  Unless the dielectric is modeled correctly, you
> cannot be sure that the adjustments due to surface roughness are correct.
>>
>> Personally, I got involved in the work of Professor Huray, Femi, and
>> others because we were searching for a means of reducing insertion
>> loss due to copper roughness and needed to understand the physics
>> behind the loss mechanism in order to be able to do that.  For
>> instance, there were some hints that roughness in one axis might give
>> less loss than in another (which turned out to be true).
>> Unfortunately, I've concluded (so far) that the same features that
>> give you the best mechanical strength (maximum surface area) give you
>> the worst loss.  I don't see any cost-effective adjustments to the
>> copper roughness that would maintain mechanical strength while
>> reducing loss.  We will have to use smoother copper to reduce losses,
>> and find other methods of maintaining mechanical strength w/ that
>> smooth copper, if necessary. (I'd love to hear others' opinions on that)
>>
>> On the other hand, it hasn't been wasted effort.  The Huray model has
>> built up my engineering intuition into what copper texture features
>> would contribute most to loss, thus giving me some ability to predict
>> effects when I look at a cross section. And now I know more about
>> what I didn't know.
>>
>> As I've said before, I believe we are just beginning to understand
>> all the aspects of copper roughness; I appreciate you sharing your
>> insights.
> Interesting that you don't have the same curiosity regarding
> dielectrics.  Copper is actually a much simpler problem.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: