[SI-LIST] Re: Simulating frequency dependent s-parameters in HSPICE

  • From: Krishna Chaitanya <krishna1abc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ihsan Erdin <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:55:28 -0700

Thanks all. I have few questions.
I did try using s-element and I am not clear how to interpret my simulation
results.
For a simple case of inverter based driver and receiver,

INV (driver) -> Through Silicon Via (Interconnect) -> Inv (Receiver)

I have the s-parameter touchstone file for a range of frequencies for TSV
extracted using Q3D extractor. I simulated this in HSPICE using s-element
and I got some eye diagram for a PRBS pattern for a particular input data
rate.

From my understanding, the R and L values atleast change with frequency and
depending on that my eye opening should change.
If I use the s-element method, I get a single eye diagram. How should I
interpret it?
Does it mean the eye diagram which I get after simulating using s-element
includes the effect of all the frequencies on RLGC parasitics?

In short I am not clear how s-element simulations guarantee that my
simulation results include frequency dependent RLGC parasitics.

Thanks,
krishna

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Ihsan Erdin <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Krishna,
>
> In hspice, you can directly plug in those s-parameters to your netlist as
> an s-element. As there's no need for a w-element using one wouldn't be
> right either. You can model the rest of the tracks with the w-element.
> Below, I suspect you're referring to a totally different case which is
> about assigning freq. dependent PUL parameters to the w-element from a
> touchstone file. This can only be be used when the track parameters are
> computed with a third party tool and completely irrelevant to what you're
> trying to accomplish in this particular situation -if I understood your
> case correctly, of course...
>
> Regards,
>
> Ihsan
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Krishna Chaitanya <krishna1abc@xxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I am trying to analyze the impact of frequency dependent parasitics of
>> Through Silicon Vias on data rate. I used Ansoft Q3D extract to obtain
>> RLGC
>> parasitics as s-parameter Touchstone file for a range of frequencies. Now
>> would like to know how can I use this file in HSPICE simulation. When I
>> use
>> w-element method in HSPICE it can take touchstone file as input but I am
>> not sure whether it is the correct way to simulate any frequency dependent
>> parasitics in HSPICE.
>>
>> Any help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Krishna