[SI-LIST] Re: Simulating frequency dependent s-parameters in HSPICE

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Krishna Chaitanya <krishna1abc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:54:15 -0700

Krishna-

Yes, the s-parameters generated by Q3D take into effect the frequency
dependent parasitics (if you really must think of it that way) of the
interconnect.

Regarding how to select the sweep range, here are a few rules of thumb:

Extract the s-parameters over a range of DC to the highest frequency you
are interested in. You need to either get a DC point or at least as low
as possible such that the simulator can extrapolate down to DC. This is
necessary for Hspice to achieve convergence in most cases when it is
doing the time domain simulation.

As far as the sampling or step size, it all depends on "how interesting"
the response of your interconnect is. It it looks like a well behave
transmission line without a lot of resonances or other unexpected
perturbations then relatively coarse sampling might be OK (say 50 or 100
MHz). However if there are a lot of variations in the transfer function
due to resonance, reflections or whatever you may need to go to much
finer frequency steps to assure that you capture all the necessary
detail in your s-parameters. If you utilize adaptive sweep in your
extractor (I don't remember if Q3D implements that mode, HFSS does) then
the tool can usually determine the density of sampling to generate good
output data. Using regular linear or log sweep with too coarse of steps
can cause the extractor to jump over resonances and such and not even
notice they are there.

-Ray

Raymond Anderson

Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer

Programmable Platforms Development

Silicon Technology Group

Signal Integrity and Package Development Department

Xilinx Inc.

2100 Logic Drive

San Jose, California  95124

(408) 626-6277