[SI-LIST] Re: Shielding clock traces on PCB's

  • From: Kim Helliwell <kimgh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:58:19 -0800 (PST)

I suppose the notion is to enclose the guarded traces in Faraday cage. However,
a guard trace is not a Faraday cage, because it's 2D, while the fields are 3D.
It's one of those tempting ideas that people try because it looks like it
should work, but both experiment and maturer reflection prove that it doesn't.
Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: The underlying assumption with
guard traces is that they somehow stop
electromagnetic fields from propagating to neighbors.  That suggests that
wires can block electromagnetic fields.  Last time I looked, this was not
so.  If it were, how would transformers and motors work?

Lee

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org