[SI-LIST] Re: Shielding clock traces on PCB's

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:30:30 -0800

Hi Andrew,

In general I agree but there are assumptions made there that are not
explicit and if these don't hold the conclusion does not either. I
think the assumptions are:

- similar signals between the traces (such as logic signals)
- possibly multi-layer boards combined with the above
- frequencies involved such that the guard traces are a significant
portion of a wavelength

I have seen cases where a guard trace would have been one solution of
several possible.

The world is full of signals that are not small ones. For instance,
a board I have seen (years ago) had a small switching supply well into
the board from the edge connector. The supply was powered from -48
Volts. The -48 Volt trace to the supply ran parallel to a +5 Volt lead
for a few inches from the same edge connector. This was a two layer
board. Many modern products use them still such as DVD players - lots
of fast logic, two layer board, class B).

The inrush current into the switching supply and its input caps
magnetically induced a 7 Volt spike into the 5 Volt trace in a phase
as to add to 12 Volts being sent to some devices on the 5 Volt rail.
About every tenth board insertion, one or another 5 Volt device would
blow. A ground trace connected on both ends between the -48 and +5
leads would have prevented this (not a unique solution).

If the length of the guard trace (between its ground connections) is
somewhat less than 1/4 wavelength at the highest frequency in the
nearby traces, filtering should not be a problem.

Just an example I thought might be interesting.

Doug

Andrew Ingraham wrote:
>>Guard traces ar great ways to make accidental band pass filters.  Why
>>would anyone advise using them to control cross talk?
>

> Because the word hasn't gotten around to most electrical engineers that it
> doesn't work like they think it should.  So it continues to be done, and
> many engineers wouldn't think there is anything wrong with it.
>
> On first glance it seems like a reasonable thing to do, akin to putting a
> shield around a wire, turning it into coax.  Reality is another matter.
>
> Andy

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org
>
> List archives are viewable at:

     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: