[SI-LIST] Re: Power Supply Distribution/Filtering/Decoupling Guide

  • From: Tegan Campbell <Tegan.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:27:32 -0700

All,
There is a Xilinx app note on their site(Xapp 623) that they talk about
different mounting inductances of capacitors but give no source for their
information.  I noticed that Lee Ritchey said in an earlier email he had
data to back up modeled inductances of different mounting structures.
Does anyone with the knowledge want to take the time to look at the
paper(figure 5) and provide data that agrees or disagrees with their
assumptions?

And Steve, "condemned" might be a bad choice of words in the paragraph
below.  I found some VERY useful information and perspectives in those
papers.

Tegan

Hassan,

I don't know of one place you are going to find all of that.  There are a
series of worthwhile chapters in Lee's book:  "Right the First
Time".  There is also some coverage in Dr. Johnson's book:  "High Speed
Digital Design", and Hall's book as well.  Beyond those titles, I think you
are condemned to plucking out papers such as many written by the folks at
SUN, and others.

Steve.
At 04:52 PM 1/5/2004 -0500, Hassan O. Ali wrote:
>Could anyone recommend a definitive design guide for board-level power
>distribution,
>filtering, and decoupling suitable for PCB's with multi-voltage,
>multi-gigabit, mixed-
>signal devices?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Hassan.