[SI-LIST] Re: Power Supply Distribution/Filtering/Decoupling Guide]

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hassan@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:39:13 -0800

Hassan,
In order to design a PDS w.r.t. the silicon and package the following
are needed from vendors:

    * Model for excess on-die capacitance for each power/ground rail,
      including on-chip decoupling capacitance, average excess
      capacitance, resistance and inductance of power meshes, with
      frequency dependent loss modeling.
          o This may require a full wave s-parameter model of the silicon.
    * Model for core current profile.
          o worst case profile for stop/start
          o worst case profile for normal operation
    * Worst case ripple margin.
    * Accurate model for device package including:  redistribution
      layer, bump or wire bond models, substrate and balls, which are
      valid across the bandwidth required for the particular power rail.
          o For extremely high bandwidth designs, this may even require
            that the each individual bump, die pad, and ball be modeled
            individually, which would require a full wave n-port
            s-parameter model.
    * Or ... an "in the can" design guide that specifies reasonable
      requirements for the PCB, and a guarantee that the silicon will
      work if the design guide is followed.

Others who have done more power delivery work than me can certainly
amplify this list.

regards,

scott

http://www.teraspeed.com