[SI-LIST] Parallel Inductor in Capacitor !!!

  • From: Rohit MISHRA <rohit.mishra@xxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:49:06 +0800

Friends,
Though It may look a silly one but It's really bothering me so thought to get
view from experts.

I always had an understanding that all real capacitors have a parasitic
inductor(ESL) which will always be in series to capacitor( That's why we call
it Equivalent Series Inductance !!! ) and this inductance comes from lead and
plates of capacitor.

But today when I downloaded a spice netlist for one murata ceramic capacitor, I
have noticed that It has some inductors in parallel too ( L7 & L8 )

Can anyone help me to understand how parallel inductor is possible in real
capacitors ??
Here is the spice netlist for murata capacitor :

.SUBCKT GRM1882C2A100JA01 Port1 Port2
C1 Port1 11 1.01e-11
L2 11 12 1.23e-10
R3 12 13 1.00e-1
C4 13 14 6.67e-10
R4 13 14 4.78
L5 14 15 6.26e-11
R5 14 15 3.54e-1
C6 15 16 7.50e-13
L6 15 16 3.00e-10
C7 16 17 3.18e-12
L7 16 17 8.17e-11
R7 16 17 9.10
C8 17 Port2 5.89e-12
L8 17 Port2 1.04e-10
R8 17 Port2 17.4
R100 Port1 11 1.00e+10
.ENDS GRM1882C2A100JA01

Link of murata, if someone wanna explore it :

http://ds.murata.com/software/simsurfing/en-us/index.html

Best Rgds,

Rohit Mishra

List technical documents are available at: