[SI-LIST] Re: Layer Stackup

  • From: "Michael Khusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <swldstn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:35:33 -0500

Steve,

There are two effects in play here. Both need to be considered when
examining stackups.

1. Return path discontinuity when signal changes layers - return current
needs to jump from power to ground through a decoupling capacitor, or =
from
ground to ground layer through a ground via.
2. Impedance of power/ground structure -- the distributed capacitance
between power and ground in terms of plane-to-plane capacitance plus
decoupling capacitors placed on the board.

The stackup #1 addresses issue #1 and ignores issue #2.
Vice versa, the stackup #2 addresses issue #2 for PWR1 and ignores issue =
#1.

Given little knowledge of the layer thicknesses and the application, I =
think
these stackups are equal. You will need to worry about quality =
decoupling
capacitor scheme in either case.

Mike

Michael Khusid