[SI-LIST] Re: How to properly simulate signal integrity across PCBs interconnected by Flex?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:31:11 -0400

I should have said:

"By way of a disclosure, we are associated with and do work for Samtec.
However, we have designed and characterized quite a few of these flexes
and cables."

I need a beer!

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Scott McMorrow wrote:
> To add to this, Samtec has a line of connectorized Flex and Cable
> interconnects that are designed specifically to handle high speed
> signals.  Any application information that you need is available
> either on-line and through them.  Also, for some of the assemblies,
> spice models are available.
>
> http://www.samtec.com/high_speed_connectors/2006/SI_C2B.asp?m=hs#HSF
>
> By way of a disclaimer, we are associated with and do work for
> Samtec.  However, we have designed and characterized quite a few of
> these flexes and cables.
>

> Scott McMorrow
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
> 121 North River Drive
> Narragansett, RI 02882
> (401) 284-1827 Business
> (401) 284-1840 Fax
>
> http://www.teraspeed.com
>
> Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>

> Curt McNamara wrote:
>> The answer to shipping clocks across flex:
>> Don't do it if possible. Reconsider the system, perhaps distributed
>> clocking would work, or even clock recovery from data. If you absolutely
>> had to ship clock across flex, do it differentially on two layer flex.
>> Next best would probably be two layer flex with ground plane under clock
>> and really slow clock edges.
>>
>> Yes, it is likely to cause problems with emissions.
>>

>>                                         Curt
>>
>> Some basics on flex:
>> http://connectorwizard.com/reference/articles/pdfs/flex_webinar.pdf
>>
>> Curt McNamara, P.E. // senior electrical engineer=20
>> Logic Product Development
>> 411 Washington Ave. N. Suite 400
>> Minneapolis, MN 55401
>> T // 612.436.5178
>> F // 612.672.9489
>> www.logicpd.com=20
>> This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
>> information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is
>> protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
>> copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
>> based on it, is strictly prohibited.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: