[SI-LIST] Re: How to properly simulate signal integrity across PCBs interconnected by Flex?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mkotson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:13:48 -0400

To follow up with what Mike says, just because the manufacturer specs a
high loss tangent does not make it so.  If you want to know what your
material is doing, you need to measure it.  Pyralux FR is specified with
an incredibly high loss tangent.  It actually measures at better than
30% less loss, and can easily be used for 10G interfaces.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Kotson, Michael wrote:
> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>    We regularly use flex cables in our designs which must be qualified
> for MIL-STD EMI levels (much tougher than FCC), so I really don't think
> you will have much issue.  Follow the same design guidelines that you
> would for a rigid PCB (continuous return path, minimize reflections,
> etc).  Samtec does a great job of providing spice connector models for
> flex-type connectors.  Most any simulation package will handle this kind
> of scenario, but I personally use Hyperlynx due to its simplicity.  One
> word of caution however, polyimide (the dielectric used to make flex
> circuits) can be _VERY_ lossy at higher frequencies.  Always check the
> loss tangent of the polyimide manufacturer you plan to use, as I've seen
> a wide range in this number from various manufacturers.
>
> Best of luck to you,
> -Mike

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net