[SI-LIST] Re: EMI simulation tools at PCB level

  • From: sdb@xxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Brorson)
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:50:07 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for your reply!  Please indulge my ignorance a little bit since
I think this is an important issue for anybody interested in
board-level simulation.

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>
> >I don't think Gerber is used as an input format for SI tools, is it?
> >
> Actually, believe it or not, Gerber is a format that can be used with=20
> some 3D fullwave solvers.  CST Microwave can use it.  And I seem to=20
> remember a path from Gerber to the HFSS format.  But ... it can get=20
> ugly.

Indeed.  Gerber doesn't have info about the layer separation, so it's
incomplete for doing things like simulating transmisison lines.  This
needs to be defined externally, right?

> The other format that is prevalent in the RF/ Microwave tool=20
> universe is DXF.

Hmmmm.  This is interesting.  DXF is fine for conveying mechanical
information, but can it distinguish between metal and dielectric in a
stack-up?  And is there ever any need to also incorporate circuit
information into a mechanical file?  I'm thinking specifically of
simulations in which one might want to incorporate lumped R, L, and C
values into a distributed transmission line simulation.  Or perhaps
even try to incorporate non-linear elements like Ibis allows you to
do.

Finally, what about ODB++?  I thought ODB++ was supposed to provide
all the info held in Gerber *plus* real mechanical info.  (I have no
personal experience with it, so I am just parroting what I have read.)
Why isn't ODB++ used as an import format for SI tools?

> As for non-proprietary formats for PCB, flex, MCM,  and package design=20
> information exchanges, wouldn't that be nice?  Ff we had a robust=20
> universal design information exchange format, we would be able to pick=20
> and choose the best software for any particular job that we are doing. =20
> Unfortunately, this would run against the financial interests of most=20
> EDA vendors, which is exactly why we'll never see such a think in our=20
> lifetime.

This is indeed the case.  EDA vendors want customer lock-in.  However,
their customers want interoperability so they can control their own
designs.  Isn't defining technical interoperability standards
like this what the IEEE is supposed to do?   I know there are a lot of
IEEE heavyweights reading this board.  Is there any interest in one of
the IEEE working groups in pursuing such a standard?

Stuart

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org