[SI-LIST] Re: Do you ever measure any of the things you model?

  • From: "Schumacher, Richard (HSTD Signal Integrity)" <schumach@xxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:19:09 +0000

Drifting the topic a little:

"[...] developed a measure-based IBIS model of the Quallan equalizer
[...]
We were able to achieve excellent correspondence between system simulation =
and measurements (a few psec correspondence for a 10Meter length signal pat=
h, see page 36) made with our DSO.  The correspondence was very much =3D du=
e to the quality of the model in that it was generated with very carefully =
acquired measure-base data using a high signal integrity fixture, fast TDR =
head, etc.

I checked the IBIS model separately and it looked exactly like measured dat=
a in terms of not just rise/fall time in an eye diagram but also the pedest=
al and features of the eye were captured extremely well.  I have found IBIS=
 model accuracy to be critical, and unfortunately most of the vendor based =
models are a bit disappointing in their representation.

Check it out:

http://www.home.agilent.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/SI3_Teraspeed_Equalizatio=
n06.pdf "

To be precise, this uses an IBIS model of a specific instance of the Qualla=
n RX, true?  In other words parameters such as silicon characteristics, ope=
rating temperature, supply voltages, channel impedances etc. were identical=
 in both the system and in the measurement-based model of that system.  How=
 good is the agreement when that same IBIS model is used to simulate anothe=
r instance of the same device type, or when that same device instance is op=
erated at different but within-spec values for temperature or voltage?

Could an IBIS model of the TX be used?

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: