[SI-LIST] Re: Do you ever measure any of the things you model?

  • From: "Lance Wang" <lwang@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Alfred P. Neves'" <al.neves@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Lynne D. Green'" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Max Artusy'" <max5461@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:54:18 -0400

Hi, Max,
This is an interesting point to SI. In the real world, the most of accuracy
issues are from models quality not simulator self. Some good guys (like Tom,
Alfred, etc.) are doing the excellent jobs to improve them. However, it is
sad to say a lot of people don't know the real facts for SI accuracy issues.
Here are two popular arguments about SI accuracy:
"It seems we have to do SI for our designs, But SI couldn't help us a lot
since it is not accurate compared with measurements."
"We don't do SI even for the GHz applications. SI is not accurate enough.
Design Guideline (Rules) is the easier and more accurate way to get our jobs
done."

Not only buffer model accuracy is an issue but also interconnect model's.

It is time to enforce the model quality now. SI is dealing with ps and mv
now.

Correctly processing your data is another part to improve your SI analysis
accuracy.

Best regards,

Lance Wang
IO Methodology Inc.
978-764-2298

FREE!!!
SignalMethTM - A Powerful Waveform Post-Processing Tool
Goto www.iometh.com <http://www.iometh.com/>  for details

Some time back, couple of years ago, we (Teraspeed Consulting LLC) =
designed
an equalized twin-ax cable system using fine gauge twin-ax, equalized
Quallan RX, and drove the entire signal path with a BERT.   Note that =
the
BERT was also modeled using Gaussian filters in ADS.

Tom Dagostino (Teraspeed Labs) developed a measure-based IBIS model of =
the
Quallan equalizer using a simple, but very high signal integrity board, =
and
we used Agilent ADS which made the behavioral modeling of the equalizer
characteristics, S-parameter model of the cable, and IBIS representation =
of
the input of the RX easy to perform.

We were able to achieve excellent correspondence between system =
simulation
and measurements (a few psec correspondence for a 10Meter length signal
path, see page 36) made with our DSO.  The correspondence was very much =
due
to the quality of the model in that it was generated with very carefully
acquired measure-base data using a high signal integrity fixture, fast =
TDR
head, etc., =20

I checked the IBIS model separately and it looked exactly like measured =
data
in terms of not just rise/fall time in an eye diagram but also the =
pedestal
and features of the eye were captured extremely well.  I have found IBIS
model accuracy to be critical, and unfortunately most of the vendor =
based
models are a bit disappointing in their representation.

Check it out:

http://www.home.agilent.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/SI3_Teraspeed_Equalizat=
ion
06.pdf.

Alfred P. Neves=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 <*)))))><{=20

735 South East 16th Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97123
(503) 718 7172 Office
(503) 679 2429 Mobile