[SI-LIST] Re: Copper Fill

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RayCaliendo@xxxxxxxxxx, silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:35:10 -0700

Ray,

When the separation of the copper fill from any signal is > 20 times the
signal-to-plane spacing there is no effect on the signals. So, for 5 mil
dielectric thickness, the fill area to signal trace clearance should be
100 mils or greater.  I would also suggest grounding each fill area at
multiple points to eliminate possible EMI coupling problems..  At a
minimum, use ground stitch vias at four corners to contain resonances of
the fill area.  For extremely high speed multi-gigahertz systems, the
vias should be spaced a maximum distance apart of 1/(f * Vp) apart.
 Where f = the upper frequency of operation and Vp is the velocity of
propagation of signals within the dielectric.

For FR4 Vp is around 180ps/in.  For 3.125 Gbps signallling the upper
frequency you are concerned with is the 3rd harmonic of the switching
frequency, 4.68 GHz.  In this case, the maximum stitch via spacing would be
1/(4.68e9 * 180e-12) =  1.18 inches.

Best regards,

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

RayCaliendo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>               Greetings,
>
>       Does anyone know, from theory or experience, what are the affects on
>               signal integrity or EMI, of putting copper fill in the open
>areas of the PCB
>               top and/or bottom?
>

>       Regards,
>
>       Ray Caliendo