[SI-LIST] Re: Copper Fill

  • From: Ritchey Lee <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:22:19 -0700

Plane fills do not cause EMI problems.  They don't need to be connected to
ground any more often that the component power pins make such connections.  If
the fill is ground just to fill unused space with ground, that isn't of any
particular use.  If the fill is to supplement the plane capacitance, the
connections to the appropriate power rail need only be made wher component pins
make connections.

As to how far to keep fill away from traces, the effect of too close a fill is
lowering the impedance of that trace.  It is realtively easy to use a 2D field
solver to establish an adequate clearance.  You will find that for a height of 5
mils, a spacing of 16 mils results in an imedance change of less than 1%.

Hope this helps.

Lee

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: vcard.vcf