[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: raw feeding

  • From: Michael Lynch <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:18:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Amy,

I feed "partially Raw" in my Kennel. Meaning each dog
has a base of a good high nutrition dog food and are
supplemented with raw meats. Usually the base I feed
is the Natures Recipie Venison/Rice mixture for
adults. I usually add about 2-4 ounces of the "fatty"
hamburger meat (not the lean, the dogs need the good
fat, too) and I feed raw chicken parts... the hearts,
liver, gizzards. I do not feed the necks and wings as
I dont feel they are conducive to the animals
digestion.  I have firm and solid stools, more
digestability and dogs seem to thrive on it. As a
handler, when I travel, I need to be able to keep a
consistant diet and things should be easily accessible
at any Winn Dixie, Raleys or Bel-Air.

I started feeding raw about 10 years ago and Oddly, I
was introduced to the concept by Sylvia
Hammarstrom--The Giant Schnauzer lady in NOrthern
California.  I was showing a Soft Coated Wheaten
Terrier and I just couldnt get a "blossom" on this
dog's coat. I was feeding a quality diet, but the hair
was brittle, skin was pretty icky, and didnt look in
show  shape. Sylvia suggested feeding her raw carrots
and raw buffalo meat (which was very easy to get in
Oklahoma). She approached it with a "what do you have
to lose?" I tried it for 2 weeks and had the Wheaten
on the table and looked at the hair coming in, it was
thick, shiny, and lookd healthier. Her skin was
clearing up a bit and within about 2 months, this
wheaten had done a complete turnaround.

Now, Mind you, I had to taper it, I cant travel to the
shows with 50lbs of raw chicken wings and expect them
to keep, but I do feed a quality base, fatty hamburger
meat, chicken parts and that usually works and does
the trick!

Also, the raw buffalo meat was a little leaner than
the hamburger, but harder to get. I havent had really
good results with the grounded turkey as its a little
harder for them to digest than the beef. I had looser
stools and didnt seem to process as well.
Occassionally, I have used the organic carrots as a
treat and the dogs make a "orange mess" of them, (but
the carrots are loaded in vitamam C.

Thats been my experience with the raw diets. Im not a
"total raw" feeder, but do realize the benefits of it
and realize a little bit of it goes a long way!

Mike

Michael Lynch
BlackHawk Farms,LLC
www.Blackhawk-farms.com