[ SHOWGSD-L ] raw feeding

  • From: Iza Kabuska <izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:02:19 -0400

My first experience with raw feeding (well - half-raw, anyway) was with my very
first quality-bred GSD, a Bernd Von Kallengarten grandson, some 35 years ago or
so.  The breeder had me half-cook raw chopped meat with a little water, and
then put in Gaines Meal and let it soak for a while.  Then, I met Connie
Beckhardt, who would use raw hamburger meat for her big dogs, mixed with Quaker
Oats that we would purchase by the sackful - no kibble.  The raw hamburger meat
we fed our big dogs was not from the grocery store - there was some sort of
rendering plant that we all would buy the raw hamburger meat from.  Many, many
breeders used this meat.  Connie would hand-feed her 2-l/2 to 3 week-old
puppies with very lean hamburger meat one would get from a butcher or a
supermarket.  No problems . . .
Iza Kabuska
http://www.karizmashepherds.com