[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: raw feeding

  • From: "Margaret" <winstone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:01:33 -0700

I think that this explains some of the problems people have feeding raw
meats now, the meat comes from hundreds if not thousands of miles away, we
used to feed meat that came from either our own places or someone close at
hand. The meat didn't come from cows that were standing in stockyards most
of their lives ( I know there were stockyards then but not with the volume
that goes through now)
The same with the Kennel-Ration and other foods available then, even if it
was grain based the grain wasn't genetically modified or sprayed with
everything under the sun.
My first German Shepherd came from Diana Kalugin (a very small breeder in my
town,all my dogs came from her) they had a small farm and fed their own beef
to the dogs, she would cook up a huge pot of grains (called shorts at that
time) and feed that, she also threw the cows head, legs etc for the dogs to
eat, I can't go that far LOL.
My meat comes from the Dairy farm (no sprays hormones etc.)2 places down
from me, their son is a butcher and he lives right behind me, We have our
own chickens turkeys and grow our own vegetables so our dogs eat food raised
very close to home. Now I understand that it isn't the answer to every ill
known to man or dog but I do think it plays a big part in their health.
There is a big push on to buy close to home and I think if you can do it
that it will help the world overall, both for animals and mankind.

Margaret

> My first experience with raw feeding (well - half-raw, anyway) was with my
very first quality-bred GSD, a Bernd Von Kallengarten grandson, some 35
years ago or so.  The breeder had me half-cook raw chopped meat with a
little water, and then put in Gaines Meal and let it soak for a while.