[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: not BSL but....

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:45:53 -0400

I know quite a few people, in many breeds including German Shepherds,
who whelp litters in their kitchens.  Even more who whelp in a bedroom.
In my last house, one of the guest rooms was also "the whelping room."
I have a friend on Hilton Head, a retired physician and his wife, who
breed a large Terrier breed...they whelp all litters in the house and
keep the litter in the dining room until the puppies are old enough to
go out into the kennel, which is a separate facility.  Separate...(as
USDA will require)...that means, not attached to the house...not a
converted garage or shed.
    I do not know anyone in Toy dogs who does not whelp litters in the
house.  I've been in the homes of two separate people who bred and
showed cats...no hair, no stinky cat smell (and that's a miracle, but it
is true).
    Not everyone can have a separate kennel building, and frankly, not
everyone wants one.  I don't suppose this is a good time to point out
that just because litters are whelped in someone's home means they are
doing something wrong, or that their homes are not clean, or that they
should be regulated by the government (State or Federal) and be forced
to cease and desist until they can have a USDA kennel facility.
No wonder the ARistas are so successful...people take things so
personally it's easy to make everybody else a guilty party who needs to
be regulated, and they think they themselves won't be impacted.  Wait
and see.
Peggy