[ SHOWGSD-L ] HELP NEEDED!!!

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:46:10 GMT

This has been a terrible day, I've been crying all afternoon.  My 15 week old
puppy just got out of emergency surgery.

Yesterday either Ringer or Bruiser tore up a toy in his puppy pen (I always
have an adult with him when he's outside in the pen).  I found the important
parts of the toy like the battery, plastic housing that holds the battery and
noise chip, lots and lots of stuffing, body parts, etc.  I fed him late last
evening, around 8 PM.  Sometime in the early morning he vomited mostly digested
kibble and the ear of the toy.

This morning he didn't eat breakfast and refused to eat a piece of cheese
later.  I took him to the vets since I suspected he may have a blockage from
the toy.

They did an x-ray and then an ultra-sound, both showed an area in the
intestines that appeared to be obstructed.  There was little to no intestinal
motility.  They did emergency surgery and could find no obstruction.  They
found all the lymph nodes in his mesentary system were very enlarged and said
that he has a massive infection.  They said his stool was gray and showed signs
of internal bleeding from somewhere.  They are stumped as to what may be
causing the infection.  His intestines still have little motility.  He's at the
vets on IV fluid, mega-dosages of antibiotics, and pain meds and will be there
at least thru tomorrow.

ANY IDEAS what this could be?  They mentioned parvo as one possiblity despite
the fact that he had his shots.

Meantime, to add fun and frolic to my life, Slider went after Mac and Mac ended
up with three gashes on his muzzle, three bites on one leg and one on the
other.  I took him in with Bruiser.

Gayle
Ringer - Honey - Kelly - Mac - Slider - Bruiser - Bo
Bridge Kids - Andy - Abbey - Tasha - Tex - Echo - Yukon - JR - Too - Niki